Welcome to the Border Kei Institute of Architects (BKIA)
We aim to focus on local issues, as well as bring you news and information of national and international importance.
Knowledge - Advocacy - Excellence
Members of the Institute, registered as professional architects, are educated and trained to provide leadership, critical judgement, specialist knowledge, skills and aptitude, for the design and development of the built environment. Membership of the Institute is open to all architects who voluntarily enrol with the Institute.
Under SAIA, BKIA and the 10 other Affiliated Regional Institutes are committed to:
- maintaining the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and competence
- the principle of striving to be an outstanding professional organisation, which upholds the dignity of the profession and its members
- promote excellence in architecture and it seeks to contribute to the enhancement of society and the environment
Members are required to:
- uphold and subscribe to these objectives, and within the built environment
- strive to improve the standards of health and safety for the protection and welfare of all members of society
- to enhance with their professional skills, the natural environment to the benefit of all
- uphold the fundamental principles of equality and justice are implicit in the Constitution
BKIA is a member of the South African of Architects (SAIA), who is in turn a member of the Africa Union of Architects (AUA), the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA), the International Union of Architects (UIA), the International Commission on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), and the International Committee Documentation and Conservation of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods of the modern movement (DOCMOMO).